Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Name "SATURN"

When I first started this whole musical escapade for myself, I consulted a lawyer about my name to see if I could actually use it. He said there was no way "Saturn the music artist" could be confused with "Saturn the car company" or "Saturn the planet" or "Saturn the video game." I also asked if I should trademark it, to which he replied that only if there a reasonable number of people in a region who knew who I was. I had to be recognizable. Well, I'm working on that. But today I read this article about all these bands that have to change their names once they've hit success because of legal entanglements. (This comes from melodynelson.com via spinme.com):

I can think of a few bands this year who had had to change their names because of legal reasons (if the name is already owned by someone else)... Death from Above 1979 is one of them, Dios Malos (used be to just Dios), and i'm sure there are a lot more. Oh yeah and The Postal Service who are in the middle settling things right now with the real US Postal Service, i find this case particularly hilarious. It also made me think of british cases like Verve who became The Verve, and Suede who are known in the US as London Suede. For some reason, it seems like lately, there have been more of these cases... well, to keep with the trend, yesterday local band The Sons of Sound received a notice from the lawyer of this place saying that the name SONS OF SOUND is trademarked and that they must "cease and desist" the use of the name... ouch, kinda sucks! So in the next few days, the band will find a new name, new domain name, will re-print all the CDs and basically be born again. I actually proposed to them to be The Sons of Sound in french: Les Fils du Son, but that didn't go over well... how about The Sons of a Bitch??? I kinda like it! Ok not really. Anyway, when they settle on a new name, i'll post it here.
On the brigtht side, if lawyers come knocking at your door, it means that the word is spreading about the band, huh?


Well, u know what, if I get so big that a lawyer comes knocking on my door with a cease and desist order from somewhere, I can always change my name to an unpronouncable symbol. Something tells me that lawyer I talked 2 might have had shit 4 brains and maybe I should get a second opinion. Any thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home